Your illness does NOT define you
Your depression is lying to you. Your depression is an illness which is a product of your biochemistry. Don’t believe that your biochemistry is a personal flaw or a character weakness. You are more than your illness. There is no shame in having an illness and asking for help.
Resources can range from maintenance to emergency. Click on the links for more information or call the numbers listed for crisis intervention.
If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please go to your nearest emergency room or call 911.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline. The Lifeline provides 24/7 support for people in distress, prevention, and crisis resources for you, your loved ones, and best practices for professionals. Call 1-800-273-8255.
SuicideHotlines.com. For suicide prevention and emotional crisis when you feel like you can’t go on. National Suicide Hotlines: Call 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-784-2433 or the number above. Hotlines are available by state as well.
Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health. Mental Health Help 24/7 Call 800-854-7771.
Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services. Los Angeles County. Call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (above). Crisis Chat. Text Support for people who are deaf or hard of hearing and who need support during a crisis can text for help by texting the word “HEARME” to 839863. Available 24/7.
San Diego County Behavioral Health. For access to the services or crisis line please call 1-(888) 724-7240. For substance use disorder services, click here. For adult and older adult services, click here.
San Francisco Suicide Prevention. Crisis line call: (415) 781-0500. Relapse line call: (415) 834-1144. Crisis Text Line 24/7 Confidential Support, Text MYLIFE to 741741.
San Jose. Bill Watson Center. Crisis line call: (408) 850-6125. Other services include: mental health services, transitional housing program, LGTBQ outreach program, trafficked minors, maternity transitional housing, and more.
Santa Clara County Behavioral Health Services. Suicide and Crisis Hotline 24/7 call 1-(888) 278-4204 or text “RENEW” to 741741. Substance Use Services call 1-(800)-488-9919. Mental Health Services call 1-(800) 704-0900.
Indianapolis (Marion County). Families First. Call (317) 251-7575 or Text CSIS to 839863. 24 hour crisis line.
Carmel. (Serving Boone, Hamilton, and Marion Counties). Aspire Crisis Department. Call 1 (800) 560-4038 or (317) 574-1252. 24-hour crisis intervention, assessment, and referrals.
Evansville. (Serving Gibson, Posey, Vanderburgh, & Warrick Counties). Southwestern Behavioral Healthcare Suicide Help. Suicide prevention call (812) 422-1100. 24h Emergency call (812) 423-7791. Patient/appointment calls to Southwestern Behavioral Healthcare Inc. call (812) 423-7791.
Chicago- UIC students and members of the greater Chicagoland area. Crisis services. Suicide prevention call UIC Campus Police at (312) 355-5555. Don’t worry, you won’t be arrested. The operator will get you the help you need.
Toledo. Harbor is a behavioral health and substance use provider. They offer a comprehensive array of services including mental health assessment and counseling. They can also help individuals with barriers to employment find jobs. Call (419) 475-4449. Hours: M-W 8am – 7pm; Thurs 8am – 6pm; and Fri 8am-5pm.
Columbus, South Columbus, Groveport. The Recovery Village Columbus provides a resource guide on their website for dealing with depression. Admissions coordinators are available to talk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call (614) 916-6571. They offer a complete range of treatment options for adults struggling with addiction and co-occurring disorders.
OHIOcares provides a resource map by county. Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services provides responses from crisis counselors within 5 minutes. Text “4hope” to 741 741. Data usage is free and the number does not appear on your phone bill. Available for individuals of any age.
International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP). Dedicated to preventing suicidal behavior, alleviating its effects, and providing a forum for academics, mental health professionals, crisis workers, volunteers, and suicide survivors. IASP includes 50+ countries and is a non-governmental organization concerned with suicide prevention.
- Austria: Telefon Seelsorge
- Belgium: Tele-Onthaal
- Croatia: Plavi Telefon. Tel: 48 33 888. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Czech Republic (Prague): Pražská linka důvěry. Tel: 222 580 697 (non-stop line). Email: email@example.com.
- Czech Republic: Modrá Linka. Tel: 608 920 410 (available everyday from 9 am – 9 pm. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Finland. Mieli – Mental Health Finland. Crisis Helpline Tel (Finnish): 09 2525 0111 (available 24/7, including public holidays). Crisis Helpline Tel (Swedish): 09 2525 0112. Crisis Helpline Tel (Arabic): 09 2525 0113.
- France: Suicide Écoute. Tel: 01 45 39 40 00. 7j/7-24/24.
- Germany: Telefon Seelsorge.
- Greece: Suicide Help.
- Hungary: LESZ. Tel: +36 66 441 300; +36 62 436 570; +36 88 422 205.
- Ireland: Pieta. Tel: Call Free on 1800 247 247 or Text Help to 51444.
- Italy: Telefono AMICO Italia. Tel: 02 2327 2327.
- Lithuania: LEPTA. Tel: 116 111.
- Netherlands: PratenOnline.
- Norway: Kirkens SOS. Tel: 22 40 00 40.
- Scotland: Breathing Space. Tel (Free): 0800 83 85 87.
- Serbia: Centar Srce. Tel: 0800 300 303. Email: email@example.com.
- Slovenia: Samarijan. Tel: 116 123. 24 hrs.
- Spain: Teléfono de la Esperanza. Tel: 717 003 717.
- Sweden: Någon Att Tala Med. Tel: 031 711 24 00. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Switzerland: Association Valaisanne Pour La Prévention Du Suicide Pars Pas. Tel: 027 321 21 21. 8 am – 8 pm. 7 jours / 7.
- Australia. Lifeline. Tel: 13 11 14. 24 hours a day. Call 000 (Emergency Services) if your life is in danger. Lifeline Text (trial), text 0577 13 11 14.
- New Zealand. Lifeline. Tel: 0800 LIFELINE (0800 543 354). Text Help to 4357.
*MORE NUMBERS & COUNTRIES WILL BE ADDED PERIODICALLY.*